Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Richness in Experience

I've been reading some old journal entries lately, and needless to say I have been through a lot of thoroughly-documented emotion.  It's amusing to look back at the thoughts I had from 8 or 10 years ago about my life and the direction I thought it was taking.

It's also interesting to find that I am in some of the same predicaments and situations now that I found myself in 10 years ago.  Does that mean I haven't changed? No.  Does that mean I haven't grown?  Not at all.

What it means is that "the more things change, the more they stay the same."  Basically, a lot of factors in life don't change.  People remain selfish, life remains unpredictable.  People argue over politics and religion.  They eat too much, drink too much, indulge in all manner of insatiable appetites, yet are still unhappy.  We always want what we cannot have, and are ungrateful for what we do have.  Love is a crapshoot.  Humans are flawed.  Life is but a moment.

All of these things have remained the same over the years.

What has changed is me.   My perspective has changed.  My approach to life has been twisted, turned, bent, broken, and rebuilt.

There are still many things about this life that I do not like.  However, I have chosen not to hinge my happiness on the choices of others.  I still get upset when I am mistreated. I still get frustrated with injustice.
But I have accepted that these things exist and that I will continue to encounter them until I die.

My focus is less on what others are doing these days and more on what I will choose to do in response.  I am angling my efforts in the direction of progress.  If it doesn't bring progress, I don't want it.

I still have much to learn.  And I realize that being so passionate about life has been both a blessing and a curse.

Regardless of who and what has come and gone in my life, I am still here.  Still evaluating, still navigating, still moving swiftly past trouble into peace. I am learning to be patient with people, and with myself as well.

I am grateful to see a positive change in my life; I'm reaching for better days and a happier heart.  A glance back at my old self gives me a sweet smile of accomplishment.  I am grateful for the lessons I've learned and for the how they have molded me into a better person.

One day, I'll look back at the person I am now. More years, more wisdom, more experience will have been added to me. Exponential greatness awaits; it's been a bittersweet journey thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment