Wednesday, May 16, 2012

9.6.08 - DIVORCE

Do you know what today is? It's your anniversary.

It would have been 38 years today, but there were too many tears to stay.  Too much hurt to resolve, too many many guilty parties involved.

They couldn't make it, and on some days does it not add up.

As I look at my own life, what I value, what I long for--someone to love me, cherish me, respect me, offer me support and stability. These are things we all want. 

We all need that shoulder, that love, that partnership--"someone to love" as Mint Condition so simply states it... Someone to spend time, someone to grow old with.

As I look back over my life, there's so many marriages I thought would make it, but they didn't. They just didn't.

And there are no words to explain, no logic to capture why sometimes there isn't enough love, not enough patience, not enough forgiveness to wade through the sands of time that swiftly turn to quicksand, chlorophyll and strychnine--poison.

Life turns to death, monuments turn to dust, fallen soldiers to memorials left of us.
Too much to turn the pages of the past and revive fond memories. 

It wasn't all bad. It just didn't survive. Like a stillborn baby, so full of potential and possibilities, but not equipped with the vital organs, systems and structures needed to survive.


Still, light a candle for the life that was. Remember all that you dreamed for it to be, for at once, you believed in it, you hoped for it, and you did all you could to preserve that life.


Do you know what today is?  It's your anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment